Chippewa County is within close proximity to major metropolitan areas:
Distances to MSAs:
Chicago: 332 miles/534 km
Minneapolis-St.Paul: 156 miles/251 km
Milwaukee: 268 miles/431 km
Running north and south through Chippewa County is US Hwy 53 and State Hwy’s 27, 40, 124 and 178.
Running east to west are State Hwy’s 64 and 29.
US Hwy 53 and State Hwy 29 are 4-lane highways and the entirety of Chippewa County is fully served by a multitude of well-maintained County roads.
Freight Rail & Intermodal Access
Internationally, Chippewa County’s rail system gives you direct access to 100% of the U.S. population and all major Canadian markets and to our local communities as well. Chippewa County is served by three railroads: Canadian National (CN), Progressive Rail, Inc. (PGR), and Union Pacific (UP).
Canadian National (CN)
Canadian National Rail serves our local communities of Cadott, Chippewa Falls, and Stanley by the east/west.
CN Rail Maps
- Canadian National United States Rail Map
- Canadian National Intermodal Facility Fact Sheet- Chippewa Falls
- Canadian National Intermodal Facility Location Map
Progressive Rail, Inc. (PGR)
Progressive Rail, Inc. serves the communities of Bloomer, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire Urban Area, and New Auburn. PGR has an intermodal facility located in Chippewa Falls, directly across from the shovel ready Lake Wissota Business Park.
PGR Rail Maps
Union Pacific (UP)
The Union Pacific track services the communities of Chippewa Falls and Lake Hallie.
UP Rail Maps
Click here to explore the North American Rail Carriers Tracks & Stations Tool
Click here to download a Wisconsin Railroads & Harbors Map
PGR serves the communities of Bloomer, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire Urban Area and New Auburn. PGR has an intermodal facility located in Chippewa Falls, directly across from the shovel ready Lake Wissota Business Park.
The UP track services the communities of Chippewa Falls and Lake Hallie.
Chippewa County has two publicly owned airports.
- The Chippewa Valley Regional Airport is located on the southern edge of Chippewa County, and provides regular flights to Chicago’s O’Hare, chartered flights, corporate flights and scheduled freight service to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport. The airport also features a full-service fixed base operator, restaurant, lounge, rental car agencies, taxi-cab services, and conference and banquet facilities.
- A basic utility airport is also available in Cornell and is conveniently located next to the Cornell Airport Industrial Park.
Chippewa County is served by two Jefferson Lines intercity bus routes providing service between the Twin Cities and Green Bay along State Hwy 29 with stops in Chippewa Falls and Stanley. Service is also available between Chippewa Falls and Duluth, MN with stops in Chippewa Falls and Bloomer. Chippewa Falls has a Shared Ride public transportation service available with a small fee to all residents within the city limits.
There are no upcoming events at this time.